Every year I like to look back and see the music that defined it- which record was spinning while I did my makeup, the playlist that we listened to on the road trip to North Carolina, the song that played as I walked down the aisle to my husband.
I decided to make two different playlists this year. One would be every album that was released in 2017 that I was able to listen to. The other would be older albums that I rediscovered and enjoyed in 2017. That being said, I’m going to split this post into the two categories:
- Albums Released in 2017
I don’t claim to know what the best album released in 2017 was. If I had to choose, I’d say my personal favorite was Cameron Avery’s Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams. It was a truly beautiful album- Avery has a deep, emotive voice, and his lyrics tell gripping stories about the tragedies of everyday romance (“Wasted On Fidelity,” “Dance With Me”).
Here’s a list of albums released in 2017 that I had on constant rotation (some also pictured at the top of the post):
- Pacific Daydream by Weezer
- Popular Manipulations by The Districts
- Volcano by Temples
- The Greatest Gift Mixtape (not a full length album, but who cares) by Sufjan Stevens
- Ripe Dreams, Pipe Dreams by Cameron Avery
- Beast Epic by Iron & Wine
- Heartworms by The Shins
- You’re Not As ____ As You Think by Sorority Noise
- A Song For Every Moon by Bruno Major
- Lust For Life by Lana Del Rey
- Halloween by Ruston Kelly
- Care by David Bazan
- Bedouine by Bedouine
- As You Were by Liam Gallagher
- Soft Sounds From Another Planet by Japanese Breakfast
Every album released in 2017 that I listened to:
2. Albums I Rediscovered in 2017
Beyond a doubt, I wore out Friends by White Lies this year. It’s one of those rare albums that both my husband and I could NOT stop listening to. At first we just listened to it nonstop on Spotify, but then I bought the vinyl and it sounds so perfect filling the rooms of our apartment. Plus, the White Lies website currently features an awesome interactive maze, which I think is a real pro.
My Chemical Romance appears twice in my rediscovered albums. It’s no secret that MCR has always been my greatest missed concert regret, and periodically I find myself revisiting their music and getting lost in Ray Toro’s guitar solos. This year I went all out, listening to their first two full-length albums over and over, as well as bingeing on “The Black Parade is Dead!: Live in Mexico.”
Here’s my rediscovered albums best-of list & full playlist:
- Friends by White Lies
- Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge by My Chemical Romance
- Blue Film by Lo-Fang
- The Only Place by Best Coast
- That’s Why God Made The Radio by The Beach Boys
- I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love by My Chemical Romance
What were your favorite albums this year? I can’t wait to make new discoveries in 2018!